Luigi Di Biase
Luigi Di Biase, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Medicine (Cardiology)
Section Head of Electrophysiology
Director of Arrhythmia Services, Department of Medicine
Dr. Luigi Di Biase is Section Head of Electrophysiology, Director of Arrhythmia Services, and Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) at Einstein/Montefiore. In addition, he serves as Senior Researcher at the Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute at St. David’s Medical Center, Austin, Texas.
Improving patient care is the heart of Dr. Di Biase’s mission. He believes that this is possible through dedicated clinical practice associated to cutting-edge clinical research. Dr. Di Biase’s research focuses on cardiology and electrophysiology with specific emphasis on catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation and ventricular arrhythmias performed either manually or with robotic catheter navigation. Additionally, his research focuses on heart failure, particularly cases treated with cardiac resynchronization therapy devices.
Dr. Di Biase, MD, PhD, FACC, FHRS, is a 2000 graduate (summa cum laude) of the medical school and a 2004 graduate (summa cum laude) of the cardiology residency program at the University of Bari, Bari, Italy. In 2006, he completed a second-level master degree in Electrophysiology and Pacing (summa cum laude) at the University of Insubria, Varese, Italy.
In 2007, Dr. Di Biase received a grant from the Italian National Society of Cardiology to pursue a research fellowship under the supervision of Dr. Andrea Natale at the Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute at the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. The following year, he accepted a position in cardiac electrophysiology at the University of Texas Medical School Branch in Galveston, Texas, where he continued to focus on his research projects at St. David’s Medical Center under the leadership of Dr. Natale.
Dr. Di Biase was appointed Assistant Professor in 2007 at the University of Foggia, Italy, where he completed the PhD program in cardiovascular physiopathology in November 2010.
In 2009, Dr. Di Biase was appointed Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Texas at Austin, where he was promoted to Adjunct Associate Professor in 2012, the same year he joined Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center with the title of Associate Professor, Department of Medicine (Cardiology).
In September 2014 Dr. Di Biase was appointed Section Head of Electrophysiology and Director of Arrhythmia Services at Einstein/Montefiore, while continuing to serve as Senior Researcher at the Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute at St. David’s Medical Center.
Thereafter Dr. Di Biase was promoted to the rank of Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine (Cardiology).
Dr. Di Biase is the author of more than 350 publications in indexed journals, about 350 abstracts, and 16 electrophysiology book chapters. He has presented at numerous national and international conferences as an invited speaker.
Dr. Di Biase is a recipient of many awards, including:
• Italian Society of Cardiology Award
• Grant for a fellowship in Cardiac Electrophysiology at the Cleveland Clinic
• ACC 08 (57th Annual Scientific Session) Best Poster Award Competition
• ESC 2008 State of the Art Featured Research Award
• 2008 best international publication as first author for a manuscript published in a journal with high impact factor from the Italian Society Cardiology (SIC)
• 2009 and 2010 SIC Young Investigator Awards
• 2011 Best Paper Award from CardioRhythm
• Best Abstract competition, University of Kansas, Kansas City 2011 Heart Rhythm Symposium
• Best abstract Award World Conference of Electophysiology, Athens, Decembert 2011
• Italian Society for Cardiovascular Research: Valsalva Award 2011
• William Harvey Award 2011: Italian Society of Cardiology.
• Best Abstract Award ECAS 2012 (European Cardiac Arrhythmia Society), Munich, Germany.
• Young Investigator Award (oral) 6thAsia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society (APHRS) and Cardiorhythm, Hong Kong 2013.
• Best Poster European Society of Cardiology 2015 (London, UK).
• Best Poster European Society of Cardiology 2016 (Rome, Italy).
Dr. Di Biase is a member of the Italian Federation of Cardiology and Electrophysiology (FIC-AIAC), the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA), the American College of Cardiology (ACC), the American Heart Association (AHA), and a Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS), and the American College of Cardiology (FACC). He is also an honorary member of the Korean Society of Cardiology.
Dr Di Biase serves as reviewer of major electrophysiology and cardiology journals, and as an editorial board member of Heart Rhythm Journal, Heart Rhythm Journal Case Report, and Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. He is Associate Editor for Journal Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology (JICE) and Associate Section Editor for Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology (PACE).